Friday, April 27, 2012

Living Long Enough

Here I sit, trying to articulate something about Levon Helm, and what his life and work meant to me. It seems that much of what I've written lately is memorials and tributes to friends, or artists that I admired. It's been somewhat overwhelming, as of late.

Years ago, I was talking to my grandfather, and we were talking about those that had passed on. He outlived much of the world he had known. Family, friends, my grandmother. I said something about the sadness of dealing with such loss. He shrugged his shoulders, and said something to the effect to, "It happens, if you live long enough." I understand that feeling more, with each passing year.

I have been very lucky to see who I've seen, and met and worked with who I have. Several of those people are no longer with us, in the physical sense, but their experiences with us, and how they affected us, live on. And while saying goodbye does not get easier with age, I hope we all can stick around as long as we can. To enjoy the possibilities of this world, and our time with others.

Here's to living long enough.
-Daniel
April 21, 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment