Sunday, December 2, 2012

Thoughts On The Passing Of A Birthday Milestone

How did this happen?

This past Friday, I officially turned a year older. It was also one of those "milestone" birthdays, the kind  that makes some people say, "Wow, you're old now." The kind that you used to think seems so much older, and so far away from the age you were at the time. And now, I am one of "those" ages. However, as my grandfather once said, "This happens if you life long enough." And so I have.

I got a little freaked out when I turned 28 and 29. The impending rush of age frightened me more than the milestone's eventual arrival. By the time that 30 arrived, I honestly didn't care anymore. Like many things in life, one's age is not so much a physical entity, but how concrete that concept is in your mind. I have known old men that were still like children, and young kids that were already old men. I myself started as an old child, and like to think that I continue to grow out of old age, as the years go by. You can grow up, without growing old.

More and more, I appreciate being here. Survival is not for the faint of heart, but I have found more joy in this past year than I have experienced in some time. I work now like I did in the early part of the last decade, but except now I'm better about letting myself be overwhelmed by things. I like to think that I can see things clearly now. If that all comes with adding more numbers to my age, so be it. The point is not to count the years, but enjoy the days while we are here. And I intend to do that, for as long as I can.

Old age? I'm just getting started. There is so much more to do.

Here's to living. Here's to survival. Here's to life. Safe travels,
-Daniel
December 2, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment