Thursday, June 18, 2015

Thought For Today

The news is defeaning, and depressing today. As I’ve tried to get through today, I’ve found myself doing searches through Youtube, and playing TV and radio broadcasts of the 1981 New York Yankees. 1981 American League Playoffs? Yep. Bill White and Phil Rizzuto calling a rain delay? Oh, yeah. This is all very nice, but I eventually asked myself, “Daniel, what are you doing?"

All these years later, I still have a soft spot in my heart for baseball, and the Yankees ball clubs (and announcers) that I fell in love with as a child. I can still name the starting lineup of the ’81 Yankees. Thinking about those days, and hearing those voices reminds me of days when my worldview was not so heavy. Not so clouded by the day to day reality that we all face. But in my childlike heart, I still believe in the feeling that baseball gave me, and the hope for the future that those feelings provided. So this is where I am today, reaching out to the past, while trying to get through the present.

In times like this, we search for understanding that the world doesn’t often provide. We all do different things to make sense of it all, or find a way to get through this.  There is no one answer, just a piece of the puzzle for every individual. While I listen to broadcasts today of Yankees baseball, I hope that everyone takes some time to mourn, to heal, and to find that place of calm. As we all move through this, and life together. However long this takes. Play ball, and safe travels.
-Daniel
June 18, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment