Thursday, October 13, 2016

The End Of Scene & Heard

For the last 16 years, I have contributed photos to the Charlotte Observer's Scene & Heard section. The first event I shot for the column? An Aaron Carter show in a Wal-Mart parking lot. Yes, really. Ah, how far this city has come. I have been S&H's main photographer for the past several years, showing off the best and the brightest of events and people that this city has to offer. And it all has meant the world to me. It made me a better photographer, and introduced me to so many of you that follow these posts.

The Observer has decided to discontinue Scene & Heard, which has recently been in the Sunday living section, at the end of October. Someone told me last week, "The only reason I keep a subscription is to read your column, and the obits." I've kept my subscription for the first part. But times are changing, and change is not always easy. But it comes, nonetheless.

What will become of me? Scene & Heard now officially moves to Southpark Magazine, as part of their Swirl section. Will I be at as many events? Time will tell. But I look forward to continuing the work with Sarah Crosland that I began with Olivia Fortson 16 years ago. A lot of great photographers contributed to Scene & Heard over the newspaper's storied history, and I was always proud to continue that line of covering the people and places throughout Charlotte. This is not the end of a dream, but more that moment when the dream changes into something else. And hopefully grows into something more.

Thank you to all of you that have been of the Scene & Heard story. I gave it all I had, and it was worth every photo. Safe travels, see you in the magazine, and see you on the road.
-Daniel
October 13, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment