Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Was It All A Dream?

Hello All-

This summer brings some remarkable milestones to my mind. July 5th will mark ten years since I photographed Johnny Cash's final public performance. That show, and the June Carter tribute show that he had performed on June 21st, 2003 were two of the most amazing days in my life. I look back on that summer, and can't believe what I was able to document. Mr. Cash, two days in Nashville photographing Les Paul, Arthur Lee & Love playing "Forever Changes" (apart from the emotional pull of the Cash shows, Love was the best show of the year, in my book), Jayhawks and Thorns in Nashville, TN, two days before the last Cash show. So many shows, and experiences. It was a fun, confusing, emotional, complicated and amazing time. I wanted to stay on the road full-time, and almost didn't come back home. I'm not sure that I could live that way again, but sometimes, I still think I'd like to try.

I think back on those shows, and those experiences, and I sometimes think, "Was it all a dream?" I know that it wasn't, and thank goodness that I took so many photos. In time, much of our life's experiences seem distant, far away in the back of our minds. But the experiences are still there, still shaping who we are today, and in the future. Life is to be experienced, and enjoyed. I've tried to live with as few "What If's" as possible, and continue to. I may not ever re-live that summer of ten years ago, but I still dream of something new, and that is always a good dream to hold onto.
-Daniel
July 3, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment