Friday, January 7, 2022

RIP Sidney Poitier

In 2004, Sidney Poitier came to UNC-Greensboro to speak at their Bryan Series. In those days, once the program started, ushers would leave the lobby, and would not ask for tickets. So I quietly walked in to the show, hid in the corners, listened to the talk, and took lots of photos. It was everything that you could imagine it would be.

After the show, I decided to wander down the street to a local record store, and discovered that a young TV On The Radio was playing a free show. Whatever film I had left in my camera, I used to photograph them.

Nights like that are too fleeting in this world. All we can do is live, and enjoy them when the opportunities present themselves.

Safe travels, Sidney. From the fan taking photos in the corner.

-Daniel
January 7, 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment