Wednesday, December 10, 2014

A Few Stories About Ian McLagan, And Me

Hello All-

Just a few stories about my experiences with Ian McLagan.

-I met Ian in 2003, hanging outside a bar in Austin, TX during SXSW, where Joe Ely & Jimmie Dale Gilmore were playing. I took posed photos of all three within minutes of each other. It was just magical, hanging out with him, and all of these musicians that I considered legends.

-I ran into Ian a year later, again at SXSW. He had been very complimentary of my photos from the previous year. He also knew that I'd done photos with Alejandro Escovedo. "Was that your photo of Al that was in today's paper?" He asked. "It was really good, and I figured that you took it." I hadn't taken it, but the compliment took my breath away.

-Ian came and played Raleigh, NC in 2005. We talked a good while after the show, and at one point he leaned in close to me and asked, "Do you know where to find some pot?" I demurred a bit, as I don't smoke, anything (severe allergies). I explained that I didn't live in Raleigh, so I didn't know the key people in that regard. "That's right, I forgot that you live in Charlotte," he answered. "You seemed like a cool person, and might know about those things." I did recommend that he ask a couple of locals that I thought might know the answer that Mac was looking for. Ian winked and said, "Thanks, mate."

-I got to see Ian play with Pete Townshend of the Who at SXSW in 2007, at a tribute for Ronnie Lane. Wow, it was awesome. Ian saw me afterwards and hugged me. "Daniel! I was hoping that you'd be here! Did you get some photos?"

Yes, Ian, I did. Thanks, mate,
-Daniel
December 10, 2014



No comments:

Post a Comment