Tuesday, May 29, 2018

RIP Stewart Lupton Of Jonathan Fire*Eater

When I started photographing musicians in 1996, one of the first up and coming acts that I photographed was Jonathan Fire*Eater. They were garage rock, woozy and cool before many tried to do the same a few years later. I photographed them twice at Tremont Music Hall in 1996 and 1997. Yes, I still have those photos. Scott Weaver interviewed singer Stewart Lupton for Tangents Magazine, before Tangents imploded for the first time. (Yes, Scott, I still have that interview. I somehow ended up with it.) Like so many others before and since, it was all gone too soon. Most of the band would later make up the Walkmen, but I always come to Jonathan Fire*Eater for their sound, and that moment when all seemed possible. With Stewart Lupton's passing, I am reminded that moments do not last forever, but what we create, and the things we change, do go on. As long as there are eyes, ears, and minds to enjoy what surrounds us. 

Here's to the dreams that once took hold, and still live on.


-Daniel
May 29, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment