Tuesday, June 28, 2016

RIP Scotty Moore

In August of 2002, I was sent out by a photo agency to Memphis, TN for the 25th anniversary of Elvis Presley’s death. It had not rained in the Southeast for weeks, and two hours after I got into Memphis, the skies opened up. Eventually, I found a local publication, and discovered that many of Elvis’ original sidemen were playing at the Peabody Hotel that night. I rushed over to the hotel, just as the show was finishing up. I blended in with the crowd, and stood with them as all of the musicians came out to the lobby for autographs. The Jordinaires, Boots Randolph, Millie Kirkham, and, most thrilling of all, Scotty Moore & DJ Fontana. I chatted with all of them, and got some nice photos of all of them. All I had in my camera bag was half of a press release from a recent shoot. All of the musicians that night signed that paper for me. I then followed Scotty & DJ down to Beale Street, where I snuck photos of the two having a meal with Sam Phillips. Not a bad first night in Memphis, it was.

RIP Scotty. Thank you for all the music. See you on the road.
-Daniel
June 28, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment