Monday, April 2, 2018

Love, Forever Changes, 50th Anniversary Edition

As some of you know, I have been very lucky to have my work associated with some of my favorite bands. One of them is Arthur Lee and Love. For years, I read about the legend of Love frontman Arthur Lee, and the timeless albums that Love made. In July of 2003, I photographed Arthur and Love perform their 1968 masterpiece Forever Changes, with strings and horms. It still is one of the best shows I’ve ever seen. A year later, I photographed Arthur and Johnny Echols performing in Falls Church, VA. Those photos were published my Mojo Magazine and others, and Arthur’s widow Diane Lee has used my photos for a few different projects in the years since.

Last month, I was thrilled to see that Forever Changes was going to be reissued by Rhino Records as a 50th anniversary edition. I was even more excited to see that my friend Ted Olsen, whom I first met while photographed the Bristol Sessions boxset release with John Carter Cash in 2011, had overseen the boxset and new essays. When I wrote to congratulate Ted, he wrote back, “I quoted some of your interviews with Johnny Echols and Michael Stuart-Ware. Your blog is a \ great resource.” Well, shoot. That made my day. 

So yes, if you pick up the new boxset, you’ll see some of my interviews in the booklet. If you know this album, you know what this album means to me, and many others. If you've never heard it, pick up this boxset, or go listen to it on any social media platform you prefer. And let the changes begin again, forever. 

https://www.rhino.com/product/forever-changes-50th-anniversary-edition 

-Daniel
April 2, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment