Sunday, December 18, 2011

Uncle Vin and Uncle Jim

In speaking at Rodney Lanier's memorial service tonight, I made mention of my Uncles Vin and Jim, and realized that I'd left out their context. Father Vincent P. Collins, and Father James Collins were my grandmother's brothers, and were both prominent Catholic priests in upstate New York. Vincent was also the best-selling author of the self-help book "Me, Myself and You," as well as other books. When I was young, I was told that Vincent was the one in the family that I was most like, somewhat because I was writing all the time.

Sadly, I only have vague memories of uncle Vin, as he passed away when I was young, and we lived in different parts of New York. I knew uncle Jim a little better, and we always ended up talking about baseball (he was a Cardinals fan, like my grandfather). If you knew uncle Vin or Jim, I'd love to hear from you. I've wanted to know more about both for a long time.
-Daniel
Dec. 18, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment