Friday, August 16, 2024

The Underground Garage Festival, 20 Years On

The Underground Garage Festival, twenty years ago today.


I drove through the night from Charlotte, after a client forced me to work late. I got to Randalls Island around 10am, before they even had set up the media check-in. I shot the whole day, all 45 bands, on adrenalin and whatever soda I could get my hands on. 

That day is a blur, but I things I do remember. The impending hurricane. The rotating stage that broke, forcing most bands to only play two songs. Talking to Pete Best, and trying to hear his soft voice through the backstage noise. Having Bruce Springsteen cut in front of me to meet the Electric Prunes. Meeting Bo Diddley, Nancy Sinatra, Bob Greun. All of the bands like the Prunes, Pretty Things and Creation that I never thought I'd see.

The last three bands got to do full sets. The New York Dolls, in their only American reunion show at the time. They were amazing, and the photographers decided en masse to not leave the pit after the usual first two songs. We all sat down and enjoyed the show, without saying a word. The Strokes, who were having a bad Doors show moment with their mess of a lead singer. The Stooges. The freaking Stooges. Throughout the day, there had been a large movie camera positioned on the stage for a planned movie of the festival. Halfway through their set, Iggy Pop jumped on top of the camera and rig, and proceeded to hump and ride it for a few minutes. We all cheered. 

After the show, and before the hurricane landed in New York, I drove all the way to Delaware before I could find an affordable hotel. I got caught in a traffic jam around Washington, so I pulled off the interstate, found a camera store and processed much of my film. I photographed a Lucinda Williams show as I arrived back in Charlotte, and proceeded to spent the rest of the night scanning and editing pics.  

There are times I look back at my life, and I'm still amazed that I did that. I lived for years on a bull-headed idea that if I wanted to be there, then I should be there. There was a big world out there, and I didn't want to miss out. I often was in Charlotte long enough for work, and to buy film for my next shoot. Create, repeat. I'm proud of that kid that went out and did all of that, and that I still have the photos of all of those adventures. Work keeps me in NC more than it did twenty years ago, but that siren call is still there, never too far from earshot.

It's anniversaries like these that remind me to still get out on the road, and create something new. As Mr. Cash said in the liner notes to Unchained, "Sometimes, when the wind howls at night, I still wish I was crazy."

Amen. And play it loud, if it feels right. Given time, it may matter even more.

-Daniel 
August 14, 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment