Sunday, September 4, 2016

Update Of Recent Events, Upcoming Events

Hello All-

How are you? Wow, it has a busy, crazy year. There’s so much to tell you about, and many things are coming soon. Let’s start with where you can now see my photos, and where you can see them in the coming weeks.

The Charlotte Museum Of History has re-installed my photo retrospective, On The Way To Here, as a semi-permanent exhibit on their second floor. They will also be exhibiting more of photos in a new exhibit on Charlotte music venues, starting in November. My thanks to all of you that came to my talk at the Museum on August 25th. There will be more on this, so stay tuned.

In July, I opened a small exhibition at the Levine Museum Of The New South on the Milestone Club. I was involved in putting this show together, alongside the photos of the late Chris Radok. My thanks to Kate Baillon for curating this exhibit. This show is now on display until October 16th, and I should have more news on this show later this year.

And yes, there is more! On September 24th, I will be opening a new show of photos at C3 Lab, on Distribution Street in Charlotte’s South End. The show is a retrospective of the first five years of my photos of the Charlotte music scene, from 1996 to 2001. There is lots of never-before-seen work in this show, nearly 90 photos of a remarkable time in Charlotte’s music scene. The show will be on display for three weeks, and will open with a reception from 5:30pm to 9pm on the 24th, with live music and much more. 

And do I have talks and book signings coming up? Of course! In fact, you can see me on the afternoon of Sept. 24th at the Plaza-Midwood Library, giving my From The 60s To Now talk about the NC Rock & Roll scene of the 1960s. You can also say hello to me on September 11th, as I will be signing copies of my NC Musicians Book at the Mast General Store in Winston-Salem, NC from 1pm to 4pm. My thanks to everyone that came out to see me at my recent talks at Cabarrus County libraries.  

Where do I start on recent photo work? Two days of work on the upcoming Showtime series Shots Fired, with Richard Dreyfuss, Helen Hunt and many others. Work with Doyle auction house, McEwen Industries, Charlotte Observer, Charlotte Magazine, Southpark Magazine, O Report, and many other organizations and media outlets. I have four pages of photos in the recent Bear Family retrospective boxset, the new book by Elizabeth Carlson, entitled North Carolina String Masters, and I have three photos of Arthur Lee and Love in a new book entitled Where Have All The Popstars Gone?, Volume 3. My thanks to Diane Lee for asking to use those photos in the book. You can also see and read more of my work in the newly reformed Tangents Magazine, which has come roaring back after a 17-year hiatus. Check it all out at www.tangentsmag.com

On the music side, photos with Emitt Rhodes in Los Angeles in February. New photos with the likes of Chatham County Line, Jayhawks, Jay Farrar, Brian Wilson, the Sammies, Whigs, Sweet Potato Pie, and several more. I have been photographing several Monkees concerts throughout the years, as the band has celebrated their 50th anniversary. Check out the band’s Tour FB page for my photos, and soon there will be more to share with you. A special point of pride for me this year is having a whole page of my photos in the Beach Boys’ new tour program. The Beach Boys were the first concert I ever saw, and all of these years later, I can now put them on my long list of great artists that I’ve worked with.  

There is always more going on with me, so please check out this page for more info. Safe travels to Merle Haggard, Ralph Stanley, and all of the great musicians that we have lost this year. My sincere thanks to all of you that follow this fun madness, and I hope to see you at the next adventure. See you on the road,
-Daniel
September 4, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment